Sunday, April 15, 2012

Scarf - Trev Teasdel



SCARF


Scarf by Trev Teasdel 1981 from Trev Teasdel on Vimeo.

That night we were drunk in a downtown bar
And you were careful not to let me go too far
I said I’d take you home and you thought I had a car
Oh I tried so hard just to make you laugh
And you said that you would Knit me a scarf.

Outside on the street, walking you home
We confided to each other, tired of being alone
I complained that my neck was getting cold
And you put your arms around me in a loving hold
And you tried so hard just to make me laugh
And you cuddled me in your arms like a scarf.

You told me you were training and I said “What for”
“Oh to be a mechanic” – you hoped it would opens some doors.
And you were so surprised when I thought it was good
Then you tripped me up and rolled me in the mud
And like a scarf you smothered me in love.

Half an hour later, worn out and wet
You told me how of late you had been upset
And invited me in when we got back to your flat
And I tripped over and I swore at your cat
And I made the cocoa and you fixed the stereo
And you tried so hard just to make me laugh
And if you knit me a scarf, then I’ll knit you one back.

Song By Trev Teasdel Coventry / Middlesbrough 1981
......

I wrote this in Middlesbrough 1981 while at Teesside Uni after going back to Coventry for the Christmas vacation.I met up with Lin in the Dog and Trumpet,one of the main venues for Ska and Indie at the time. When i got back to the Boro,Lin wrote to me with this line included -
" Trev, I'm still working on your scarf, only trouble is, I don't know where you want to hang it from!"

That line sparked the song!

Features Steve Gillgallon on bass and lead
Trev Teasdel - vocals and guitar.

No comments:

Post a Comment